Founded in 2003, ActiveCampaign raised its first round of funding in 2016 for $20 million from Silversmith Capital Partners. Since then, ActiveCampaign’s employee count grew from 65 to 550, and the company has expanded into a second United States location, an office in Sydney, Australia, and an office in Dublin, Ireland.
ActiveCampaign positions itself as an all-in-one platform that provides a less fragmented customer experience solution. This approach makes sense, given the level of saturation in the martech world: According to the 2019 Marketing Technology Landscape Supergraphic, there are over 7,040 marketing technology solutions available; this number has increased by over 2,000 solutions since 2017.
In the past year, we’ve seen numerous martech vendors moving in this all-in-one direction, either by launching new product capabilities or partnering with other vendors that have automations already built out.
- In May 2019, ActiveCampaign launched CX Automation, helping businesses effectively leverage customer information.
- PushSend launched an all-in-one marketing platform in April 2019, which helps marketers create, market, and manage email campaigns, landing pages, and events.
- In May 2019, Mailchimp built an all-in-one marketing platform for small businesses and startups.
- In August of 2019, Oracle collaborated with Madison Logic as a way to integrate the Madison Logic platform with the Oracle Eloqua marketing automation platform. This collaboration enabled Eloqua customers to access Madison Logic’s engagement data and to enhance their lead nurturing strategies.
- In July of 2019, marketing automation provider Act-On partnered with Pipeliner CRM to enable businesses to align sales and marketing, ensuring better lead quality and execution around achieving business objectives.
ActiveCampaign alone has some 260 technology partners with automations already built out, enabling users to customize the solution that best fits their needs. Some of ActiveCampaign’s integrations include Shopify, Square, Facebook, Eventbrite, and Salesforce.
According to ActiveCampaign, its recent funding will be used to invest in building out new technology and to continue to expand internationally. The Series B is led by Susquehanna Growth Equity, and Martin Angert, a partner at Susquehanna, will join ActiveCampaign’s board of directors.
According to G2 reviews, ActiveCampaign is currently a Leader in G2's Marketing Automation category. In addition, according to G2's Winter 2020 Grid® Report for Marketing Automation, 91% of those who have reviewed ActiveCampaign on G2 believe the product is headed in the right direction.